February 2014, marks the ten year anniversary of Garfish Crows Nest
To celebrate, we’ll be transporting you back a decade and offering our well known dishes at 2004 prices!
- Fish & Chips at our 2004 price of $19.50 (currently $25.50)
- Fish Curry 2004 price of $24.00 (currently $28.00)
- Original Potato Top Fish Pie 2004 price of $24.00
And you can have our popular salt and pepper squid at the 2004 price of $16.00 which remains the same price today in 2014!
Back in 2004 we were the first restaurant in Sydney to list Villa Maria Private Bin Sav Blanc so we are bringing this popular wine back as our wine of the month.
The time has gone quickly and we would like to share some key moments with you, our valued clientele.
The beginnings – an opportunity for fresh fish at reasonable prices
The Garfish concept was born while we operated Milsons and Jaspers restaurants in the 1990’s and early 2000’s. At the turn of the millennium there were only a couple of fine dining restaurants (Pier and The Boathouse @ Blackwattle Bay) specialising in fish and just a few eateries like Jordan’s and Doyle’s in the mid-market, plus the ubiquitous fish and chip shop.
We wanted to create a mid-market restaurant specialising in the absolute freshest fish served at reasonable prices. Garfish @ Kirribilli was opened in late 2002, and was so successful that we began searching for our next site. A new development at Crows Nest (this site used to be a veterinary business) had an opportunity to include a restaurant so we submitted the necessary DA and began building in late 2003. We opened on Friday night January 30th 2004.
Experienced staff with a passion for fish
Our opening team included Carole Dunn (who continues as a key leader of our team), Craig Duffie, Michelle Finlayson, Leah Gough, Rebecca Grunsell, Adam Paleg and Gavin Tuckwell.
This nucleus of staff stayed with us for the first couple of years. Stewart Wallace joined as Executive chef in August 2004 and he in turn hired Mike Nash as Head Chef in October 2004. Both Stewart and Mike are still with us heading up our kitchens. Jenni Heads (from our Kirribilli business) was also instrumental in the establishment of the Crows Nest business.
Other key employees over the years who have contributed are: Head Chefs Mark Livingstone, Jeremy Allan and Tim Wesley and Front of House supervisors Sam Johnstone, Jess Ryan and Nicola Scott. Current staff that have put in the hard yards over the years at Garfish are Amanda Cleal, Patrick Ryan, David McClelland and John Paul Farrimond and current Head chef, Hamish Gilmore.
In total over the last ten years we have employed 490 employees.
Pictured below is some of the Crows Nest team in 2014.
Setting the standard for restaurants in the Crows Nest area
Alongside Crows Nest institutions Mathew @ Peacock Gardens, La Grillade, Xenos and Rudi’s Stuyvesant House, Garfish can now be counted as a consistent performer in a precinct of over 150 restaurants and cafes. We have received numerous Community Business Awards and in 2005 won the North Shore Times ‘Business of the Year’.
We were one of the first restaurants in Australia to be “Certified and Accredited” by the National Restaurant & Catering Association. Back in 2004 we installed two cameras in our open kitchen that relay images of the chefs at work onto two Plasma TV’s in the restaurant. This innovative addition to the ‘open kitchen’ was reported at the time on CHN 7’s National evening news.
Watch the new spot below.
Some interesting facts and figures
Over the last ten years we have served:
- Over 293,000 oysters
- 51,190 entree portions of Salt & Chilli Squid
- 45,000 portions of beer battered fish and chips
- Poached eggs have been our most popular breakfast dish, with over 18,530 serves
- Plus, we have plated 11,810 ‘Garfish Big Breakfasts’
- Our customers have consumed almost 26,000 spinach & beetroot salads
- And only 33,000 sides of chips
- 120,000 bottles of Sparkling mineral water
- 23,500 bottles of Peroni
- About 20,000 kids meals (mostly on Sunday nights!)
- Snapper Pie sales have topped 40,000
- Waffle dessert orders have amounted to 39,700
- Take away coffee numbers are 180,820
During the running of Garfish Crows Nest over the last decade:
- We have spent $336,500 on bread
- Over $3m on fresh fish, and a further $331,000 on oysters
- And a paltry $226,400 on meat
- Approximately $757,400 on Fruit and Veg
- Coffee beans have cost $266,870
- Electricity has set us back $483,840 (what will the figure be over the next 10 years?)
- And Work Cover Insurance another $294,430
- Milk and Cream $237,500
- Removing waste has cost $139,160
Along the ten year journey we have also developed strong relationships with our suppliers. We thank them also for their product and service.
We hope along the way that you, our valued customers, have enjoyed your Garfish experiences and that you will continue to patronise our restaurant over the coming years.
Mark Dickey, Mark Scanlan and all the Garfish team past and present.